He didn't pour sugar into a bulldozer's gas tank. He didn't spike a tree or set a billboard on fire. But wielding only a bidder's paddle, a University of Utah student just as surely monkey-wrenched a federal oil- and gas-lease sale Friday, ensuring that thousands of acres near two southern Utah national parks won't be opened to drilling anytime soon.
This is the same company that begged $10 billion dollars from the Federal government to keep them from "going under", and only paid 1% in taxes this year.
Welcome back to another day in the "Fourth Branch"
The NYTimes via AP is reporting that Darth Cheney has declared that he, and he alone, has the power to decide which, if any, of his papers are covered by the Presidential Records Act.
Dick Cheney's lawyers are asserting that the Vice President alone has the authority to determine which records, if any, from his tenure will be handed over to the National Archives when he leaves office in January
Of course, they're still holding the auto industry to an entirely different standard than they held Wall St. to, i.e., suddenly there are conditions and strings in order for the auto industry to get the money.
Marcy Wheeler states one of them bluntly:
The President of the United States just dictated that American corporations pay their employees significantly less than the employees of foreign owned manufacturers. And/or, he dictated that American corporations pick the pocket of their senior retirees.
This was always about union busting and in the hands of our current president, it still is.
Ezekiel J. Emanuel, a prominent bioethicist at the National Institutes of Health–and the brother of incoming White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel–will serve as a senior counselor at the White House Office of Management and Budget on health policy, two Democratic officials said Thursday.
- Vice President Dick Cheney's son-in-law, Philip Perry: Deputy Attorney General.
- Dick Cheney's daughter Liz Cheney: Deputy Assistant Secretary of State.
- Secretary of State Colin Powell's son, Michael Powell: Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission.
- Budget Director Mitchell Daniels' sister Deborah Daniels: Assistant Attorney General.
- White House press secretary Scott McClellan's brother Mark McClellan: Member, President's Council of Economic Advisers and Commissioner, Food and Drug Administration.
- Ken Mehlman's brother Bruce Mehlman: Assistant Secretary of Commerce.
- Michael Chertoff's chief of staff's wife Julie Myers: Assistant Secretary of Homeland Security.
"I do think the Florida recount set kind of an ugly mood amongst some in the electorate. In other words, the election was - in their minds, was in doubt."
"I have made the decision not to let there be a massive collapse, which would hurt the average guy in the street."
"But I made the decision that my team and myself will not let the economy go down."
"I didn't realize we'd be in war because, you know, the attacks of September the 11th came out of nowhere." That PDB on August 6th that you ignored while on vacation could have provided a big clue.
"Early on in the presidency I said, I want time to work out, because I think it's - I know part of doing this job is to be a disciplined person. Like, I start meetings on time, I end them on time." This is how history will surely remember the Bush presidency: he started meetings on time, he ended them on time.