Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Headlines - Wednesday

 
The Onion: Nation finally shitty enough to make social progress
 
###
 
Jello shots for everyone. We won! :)
 
img359/4405/dsc4166cc2.jpg
 
Under New Management
 
###
 
 
"Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"
 
We made history last night. Yes we did. After eight long years, we are part of the fabric of this country again.
 
A reader from Sully's blog:

Nothing in my life has actually changed in the 30 minutes since it was announced Obama will be our next president. I have the same bills, the same amount of money in the bank, my dishwasher is still broken, and my 5 month old beagle won't stop peeing on my carpet. Everything in my life is exactly the same as it was 30 minutes ago; and yet I feel as though everything is different.

I feel so much hope.  I feel so much pride. I feel like my one vote was a single drop of water in a great Tsunami of change. I feel like I was one of a million voices screaming in the night, " I love my country and I'm taking it back!" I'm so proud of the country that I love and have so much hope in my heart that we can together heal the wounds that have been such a source of pain and anger to us all.

I know Obama isn't going to fix the economy overnight, I know he won't be able to provide healthcare to all Americans by February '09. I know Obama isn't a Messiah who four years from now will have turned this country into a fabled utopia. But I also know Obama will make moral decisions. I know Obama will try to unite where others try to divide. I know Obama will help to make America the beacon of hope it once was to others. I know that at 27 years of age, I witnessed one of the most important and hopefully glorious chapters in American history.

I know hope.

###
 
 
McCain's concession speech was very classy, very moving, and finally worthy of the man we once thought we knew. Alas, his crowd was as ugly as he was gracious.
 
###
 
The world reacts:
 
### 
 
h/t Dick - New cable box how to video:                                                     http://www.hulu.com/watch/36608/talkshow-with-spike-feresten-      
 
###  
 
For the first time in my adult life, I am really, really, really really proud of my country
 
###
 
Fun fact: 76 days until George Bush is no longer president.
 
###
 
California
 
Ban same sex marriage?
 
Yes: 51.9%
No: 48.1%
 
Treat farm animals humanely?
 
Yes: 63.3%
No: 36.7%
 
 
###
 
More than 130 million people turned out to vote yesterday, shattering all previous turnout records. An estimated 64 percent of the electorate voted, "making 2008 the highest percentage turnout in generations." In 2004, 122.3 million voted in what was then the highest recorded turnout in the contest between President Bush and Sen. John Kerry (D-MA).
 
###
 
obamabiden2.jpg
 
###
 
 
Harry Reid will likely meet with Sen. Joe Lieberman later this week to discuss whether he "will be stripped of his Senate committee chairmanship," according to a senior Democratic leadership aide. The aide says that Reid "has not yet decided what to do," but that there is "lingering anger among Senate Democrats over Lieberman's Republican convention speech."
 
###
 
 
Barack Obama gives his victory speech to supporters.
 

No comments: